Sunday, June 22, 2014

The road

So, it's been awhile. I've said it before, I'll say it again. A cancer blog when you don't have cancer becomes a bit of a challenge to maintain. A challenge for which I am deeply grateful.

I've just completed my latest round of "is Laura still in remission?" testing wherein my normal cancer stress moves from a 6-7 to an 11. This round was particularly bad.

I had a mammogram on the 23rd of April. It was a 6 month follow up because I had some calcifications and they wanted to check in on them sooner than the year. That was on a Wednesday. On Monday I got a call to schedule a biopsy. No context. No warning. Just a cheerful man who had no idea why.  I called my oncologist's nurse and left a message asking for more information. Thankfully she returned my call within the day and said there wasn't a lump, I just had a patch at my original cancer site that was hard to see. The biopsy was exploratory and fairly routine. It might be cancer, it might be scar tissue, it might be just a bad film. Adventure! The great unknown!

Her call brought me considerable comfort but lingering in the back of my mind was the thought of "what if." I've always been more afraid of metastasis than I have been of recurrence. Recurrence, while a pain, is still within the realm of treatable. Once cancer gets out of your boob though, doctors stop talking about curing your disease and start talking about managing it. So this seemed a better option, but not by a whole lot.

I started worrying about having to do chemo again. I've said all along it isn't awful, but when faced with a repeat course my mind got a lot more clear about what it had been like. The mind has a nice way of glossing over the pain of your past. I don't have fond memories of cancer treatment, but I don't think of that time and feel immediately awful either. I've mostly forgotten what it was like in any real sense. The worrying brought it back.

I arrived at the biopsy to find that, in my particular case, an error had been made. The radiologist felt a magnified mammogram was in order, and that upon its evaluation, a decision would be made about a biopsy. I won't get into the details, but 40 minutes later after another round of boob-pinching, I sat across from a radiologist who told me that both he and another doctor had reviewed the films and were both of the opinion that the calcifications were in line with surgical scarring and nothing to be concerned about. I asked just how confident they were, to which he replied "very confident," a degree that is unusual in the cancer world.

So all my worrying had been for nothing. As it has been since the day of my diagnosis. Since that day I've gotten nothing but routine, expected or good news. And yet, the worry persists. In this case, I'm willing to pass on some of the blame to a medical system that is rather cavalier when dealing with patients for whom a cancer recurrence is not an everyday occurrence but still, there is a lesson here. One I will continue to be challenged to learn and, I suspect, will fail to learn well in the near future.

Worry is not helpful. So far, not only has it been tiring to live with, it's also been unnecessary. Worry does not change the future, it only poisons the present. If only I could drill that belief into my thick skull. In the meantime, I will have to settle for the meadow of relative calm in which I currently find myself and hope that with each piece of good news I get following a test or a scare, I will find it easier to believe that this really might all turn out in my favour.

4 comments:

  1. I should be the very last person to point out typos, but you Laura my b̶u̶s̶t̶ best cancer survivor friend have what appears to be a typo. However, given the context of this post perhaps it is just a mere slip of the t̶o̶n̶g̶u̶e̶ p̶e̶n̶ keyboard, a parapraxis. Or what the kids these days call a Freudian slip.

    Of course I'm referring to you writing "surgical scaring" when you meant to write "surgical scarRing" (the capitol R was inserted for dramatic effect). Surgery is scary, cancer is scary and reading this post was scary. Your Freudian slip typo (or pun?) was indeed warranted.

    Please don't worry over future typos, a wise person once posted on Facebook a quote they read somewhere: Worry does not change the future, it only poisons the present.
    - Said somebody somewhere at sometime.

    Thank you for liking my hip blog enough to get cancer too, as you are my cancer support group - my cancer bosom buddy. Thank you for keeping us abreast with your blog. In all seriousness Laura I read and reread your blogs when I feel alone in this journey of survivor-ship, thank you!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the fourth time I've tried to post. I'm getting frustrated so my comment will not be as awesome as the first three. But I've fixed the typo (thanks!) and want to say I'm glad to have a cancer bosom buddy. I had no idea how precious your blog would become to me when Jane first passed it along. Nor you, for that matter. There are few upsides to cancer, but being able to count you among my friends as a result is certainly one of them. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock Laura.
    Dabu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog. I hear your voice. I love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete