Friday, October 28, 2011

Bloodletting

I met with the Oncologist again today. This was a check-in sort of check-up, I think. She asked me how I was feeling and I told her "pretty good" and she asked again like she didn't believe me. Then she told me she didn't think I looked that good. I guess in the future I will have to wear make up to these meetings. I don't know, maybe this was the first time I haven't. I can't really remember. Anyway, I told her as much, and she laughed. She followed up by saying my colour was good and that I just looked very tired, so there's that.

I'm a "take it or leave it" make up kind of gal. Sure, I like it but I don't feel like I have to be wearing some in order to leave the house or anything. I'll go to work without any on. I suspect that is really going to change in the next few months. I'll probably become one of those women who refuses to leave the house without it. Probably because if I do, I'll also be leaving without signs of eyebrows or eyelashes and that will look weird.

Anyway, they took some blood (hence the blog title) and then counted bits in it. As expected my white blood cell count is very low. She said I should stay in the house all weekend. Doesn't she know that I have TWO parties this weekend? Of all the damn weekends! I am not one of those people with a calendar full of parties- we go to parties about once a month. Of all the times! I pretty much told her this and she said she wasn't going to prohibit me from going but that I had to be very careful.

How does one even go about being very careful at a party? This isn't the hood - the joint is not going to get shot up. I've interpreted "being careful" to mean the following:

1) I should not do the cheek kissing thing that diplomats love. However, I don't know how to stop people from doing this to me since it is the only acceptable greeting here for women. Maybe if I wear a face mask? Or just awkwardly wave at people. This one requires a bit more planning.

2) I should not "try this" from peoples' plates or glasses. This will be easier. I'll just say no.

3) My oncologist mimed me being very reserved. Like I should wear a cardigan and wrap it tightly around myself (she actually did this with her Doctor lab coat) and stay in the corner and not talk to anyone at the party and just observe other people having fun. I'm definitely not doing this one. Well, if I get to go. Paul seems about ready to dig in his heels and make us stay home.

She did also say that while my white blood cell count is terrible for an average person, it's quite excellent for someone going through chemo. She probably shouldn't have told me this because it makes me rationalize going out when it might be wiser to stay at home. Also factoring into my decision - the belief that this will be the last weekend I have a reasonable head of hair. People should at least see this adorable cut before it is all on my pillow and in my shower drain.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment