Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Boost

I have moved into the final stage of my radiation - a period know in the cancer community as "the boost". Up until yesterday I was zapping my whole breast. Okay, technically, I wasn't doing anything except laying there but you know what I mean. Today I got the first of 5 "boost" zaps. The boost is additional radiation targeted at the site of the original tumor. Although I understand this is pretty standard treatment I've also read that it seems to be extra beneficial for young women. Excellent! Zap away!

How they figure out exactly where to aim is a bit of a mystery, especially considering all the tissue surrounding Ethel moved out when she did. I mean, the scar helps as a guideline, I'm sure, but it all seems rather enigmatic to me.

Either way, I've been moved to a new radiation room and put under a much more intimidating machine. This one had a nozzle built into it and what I think was a lead plate on the end of the nozzle with a hole cut in it. I suppose it is how they target the radiation more effectively. I'll tell you this much; although I know there is a lot of science behind radiation, this contraption looked a bit like something that had been welded together in a backyard.

I guess I also find it crazy that medical science is still using markers on skin as a means to deliver treatment. They drew all over me again yesterday and today. Once again they told me not to shower. I was going to listen to them but then I decided that this was ridiculous and that I was going to be a total bad ass and go against their orders and shower anyway. It is enough that I am now in the process of growing out the worst haircut ever, I don't need to be stinky on top of it.

Finally, I don't know if it is the boost or the flu that has been going around, but the nausea has returned. At this point, I actually hope it is the radiation since I only have 4 treatments left, and this flu seems like a real doozy. I've managed to stay cold and flu free through this process and I'd like to keep it that way. I honestly can't believe the odyssey that started last August is almost done. I still have the 6 month follow ups and the pill a day for the next 5 years but I truly feel the worst is over. Well, almost.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, I honestly had no idea the process would take this long in total. I mean, when I've heard about young women getting breast cancer (Christina Applegate) it seemed like it was done and over with in a month? I'm probably completely wrong, and your blog has been quite eye opening to the *real* big, bad world of breast cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So weird about the not showering. Is that a thing in North America too? (Must find this out...) Can't they just use a super permanent jiffy marker and ask you not to use too much soap?
    Also, congrats on being almost done! Yay! But please still blog somewhere because I like to read about your personal thoughts like a super creepy stalker. Like, I think that hair growth and scarring updates will be in order after the treatment is over. Also, I wonder if you could find a t-shirt that says "I went to Korea and all I got was breast cancer." 'Cause that's funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your last 2 sentences made me smile for you. What a relief. Here's to an Ethel free 2012!
    I also love reading this blog and hope you keep updating beyond your boost zaps! I think it could be the extremely witty intelligence as well as the truthful insight. If it turned into a book, I'd buy it. For sure.
    Brin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last 2 sentences made me smile for you. What a relief. Here's to an Ethel free 2012!
    I also love reading this blog and hope you keep updating beyond your boost zaps! I think it could be the extremely witty intelligence as well as the truthful insight. If it turned into a book, I'd buy it. For sure.
    Brin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured it out.... Then posted it twice.... My bad!

    ReplyDelete